Suits to Affect the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCRs)

Preserving Your Family Bond

When you and your domestic partner have had children together, the termination of the relationship raises urgent questions. Since you were never married, who is entitled to custody of the children? Are you eligible to receive child support if the children live with you?

In Texas, when a court order is needed to address the needs of a child, the action is referred to as a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (“SAPCR”). Although these actions often involve unmarried parents, this is not a hard and fast rule. Examples include:

  • If a married couple has separated (but not divorced), one parent may file an SAPCR to obtain a court order regarding custody, visitation, and child support.
  • If a child is removed from his/her parents due to allegations of neglect or abuse and there is a question as to who a child’s father is, the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services may file an SAPCR that includes a request to establish paternity
  • Grandparents who have lost access to adult grandchildren may file an SAPCR to reignite a relationship.

The Von Dohlen Law Firm provides supportive and effective representation in SAPCRs. We will protect your right to a solid and fulfilling relationship with your children in legal matters like the following:

  • Custody and parental visitation
  • Child support
  • Modification and enforcement of child support orders

For assistance with your SAPCR matter, call Robert Von Dohlen at (713) 443-6730 or contact us to request a consultation. We will handle your SAPCR with the sensitivity and attention that you and your children deserve.